Reading and Literacy
We work with our students to foster a love of reading. Strong literacy skills are a crucial factor in students reaching their academic potential at Hedingham School. Reading, writing and communication skills are tackled by all Learning Areas using both subject specific as well as generic approaches.
Opportunities to regularly read plays an important part of life at Hedingham School. We have a weekly “Drop Everything and Read” slot during tutorial during which students have access to their own choice of reading material.
We carefully track literacy specific data on students, through regular reading tests and literacy biased assessments, which we use to structure focused intervention and support where needed.
Additional provision, for students who require support for their reading, is delivered in different formats:
- Paired Reading – 1:1 with a Sixth Form student
- Catch Up Reading – 1:1 with Teaching Assistant
- Toe to Toe
- Reading and Spelling Intervention – support offered through extraction
- Units of Sound – Computer programme that supports development of reading and spelling
- Termly Reading Support – 10 week blocks of reading and literacy support
Whole School Reading Priorities
|Regular reading opportunities within the English Learning Area
|Regular opportunities to read for pleasure
|Monitoring the improvement in reading levels
|Monitoring book withdrawals
|Support for students with weak reading ability
|Increase the profile of reading to capture reluctant readers
|Celebrate reading success